Thursday 10 June 2010

Getting back to nature

Our week in Cornwall was a week without the internet, without even phone signal for the most part, and a time to get back to nature. We walked along the coast on paths overgrown with wild flowers, swam in the sea and enjoyed fresh seafood caught and cooked on the same day.

Since we returned I've been reluctant to let myself be consumed, once again, by the internet and specifically social networks. Instead I've been spending a lot of time pottering in the courtyard - a pastime which is fast becoming one of my favourites - and tending to the various plants and herbs I have in and arond the flat.

This week my roses have begun to bloom and are looking beautiful and the cat has also been enjoying the outdoor life, especially when the sun's been out. I don't know if she's on heat or is just enjoying a playful spell of youth but there was a close call for a lazy pigeon on Monday and she's been transfixed by Springwatch - sitting underneath the TV for the full hour and stalking and trying the attack the birds on screen.








3 comments:

  1. Good going, you have a chic courtyard greenfingered gift, and I didn't know you could grow a rose in such a small pot.

    Did you nick the Walls' ice cream stand? If so, can I order another one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you. That rose was from Poundland too - I've been quite impressed at its progress.

    I wouldn't say we 'nicked' the Walls ice cream bin, rather 'recycled' it - it was by the communal bins on our street. We also rescued the large leafy house plant from said bins - the benefits of living in an urban area with a high turn-over of tenants :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressed by recycling talents and quality of plants. Something in the genes????

    ReplyDelete