Tuesday 8 June 2010

Don't rain on my parade

I spent last week in Cornwall, where classic and casual beach- and outdoor-wear are the popular fashions. Fortunately we didn't get much rain - one morning in seven days is pretty good going for a British holiday - but one has to be prepared and as such I took along my black and white striped nautical raincoat.

A bargain at just £35 from £185 from a shop closing down in Brighton's North Laine, I bought it primarily for the Canadian honeymoon - Nova Scotia, I've heard, is a lot like Cornwall - and while it's main purpose is practical (it even has a peaked hood to keep the rain off my lovely face) wearing it makes me just as happy as slipping into a pretty dress. You may be able to see said happiness on my face as I conquer this balance beam - of course some of the joy stems from the child-like nature of the excercise.


Being cosy and sticking two fingers up to foul weather is a great feeling, as is wearing something you don't ordinarily, and for a raincoat, I like to think mine has a chic and classic 1960s vibe - it's pretty damn cool.

So, as much of the population gear up for the festival season, how can you keep dry without losing your cool? And yes, I realise that I look anything but cool performing by minor gymnastic feat, but as a woman there said "you shouldn't put an age on these things".

Rainwave have some gorgeous grown-up ponchos in this season's tribal prints. Not your average Alton Tower's Log Flume fayre. At £55, they're a little on the pricey side, but look like they'll last you a lifetime.


More cheap and cheerful are these bargain £1.99 ponchos from H&M's Fashion Against Aids range. It may only last the duration of the festival, but for £1.99, what more can you ask for? Shove it in your rucksack and dance in the rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment