Thursday 22 April 2010

Behind the lens - Louise Haywood-Schiefer

In the first of a new series in which photographers explain the stories behind their favourite shots, Louise Haywood-Schiefer tells of a band under pressure.

I took this image of Diagonal frontman Alex Crispin two years ago at Toe-Rag recording studios, where the band were recording their first album.

The studio was amazing; all kitted out with vintage amps and tiny artefacts left as evidence of all the great artists who had recorded there.

I'd been asked to document them during the recording, but couldn’t help spending a great portion of the day photographing the interior and collecting shots of the wonderful memorabilia and instruments, dotted around the place.

After focusing my attention back to the band, I realised the recording wasn’t going so great at this point. It was getting late, and they only had one more day to finish the album.

I took this shot of Alex as they were going for another break to try and clear their heads. I like that his expression conveys how tired and under pressure they all were, and because I was only using the ambient light, it turned into a really moody shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment