Thursday 8 March 2012

Marni x H&M in Brighton

Yes, I was one of the fashion sheep queuing up for my ten minutes in the Marni x H&M pen today. As I'd cleared it with work to go in late - a fashion & retail editor needs to be top of this type of fashion frenzy, or something like that - I rocked up to the Western Road store at 8.45am. Not quite early enough, it turned out, but as I was in Brighton and not London (3am people, 3am), this secured me a wristband for the 9.55am slot.


Just enough time for an M&S lingerie jaunt and to feel the excitement build as I queued with my fellow fashion fans. Unlike the Versace hoards, this wasn't one for the teenagers. Marni being a favourite of chic Italian businesswoman, the majority of those queuing were in their thirties and forties, all anxiously watching as the groups in front of us frenziedly snapped up the pieces on their hit list.


When it came for my group's ten minute slot, many of the items I'd had my eye on - the polka dot trousers, bunny T-shirt and silk shirt - had gone, or existed only in a size 6 or 8. But I did manage to pick up the Sixties-style polka dot coat, cut in a lovely boxy, swing style, and cute jacquard top. Both very wearable and pretty reasonable at £79.99 and £59.99 respectively.


Shoppers were only allowed to take one piece of each style and the timed slots and re-stocking were managed with military precision by the H&M staff, so I didn't really understand the grumbles from those who joined the queue a little later. "So we might not get what we want?". "Well I don't have time for this". Erm, that's kind of the point, that's what 'limited edition' entails - why it's such a big deal...


I dropped by after work to see what was left and it was as if it'd never happened - every-day stock was back in place and the only hint of Marni mania left were two rails dotted with stiff and shiny patent leather tops and teeny tiny sizes.

What did you think of the collection? Did you manage to pick up your favourite pieces?

1 comment:

  1. I tried to get online all morning but the website failed me! I really liked the collar, but love the top you picked up!
    x

    ReplyDelete