Monday 3 May 2010

She's Always a Woman - thank you TV advertising

As a general rule I don’t dislike ad music because it has appeared in an advert, but because it has been chosen for a particular type of advert in the first place. Adverts for mobile phones and small cars usually go for the twee lo-fi alt-folk that I like to call ‘dancing squirrel’ music and which knaws away irritatingly inside your head. No better are the vacuous dreamscapes used to compliment the ridiculous melodrama of perfume films.

When covers are used, it’s often an indication that the film-makers couldn’t afford copyright of the original; a new young thing putting a cool gloss on a song that wasn’t so much of a classic in the first place or a new young thing ruining a perfectly good song.

But there are always happy exceptions to the rules, and John Lewis’ choice of Fyfe Dangerfield’s ‘She’s Always a Woman’ to accompany their film of a young girl’s life in full is one of those. I’d never heard the song before, but the advert struck me immediately as one with sincerity – or at least well-executed simulated sincerity – and the song as one with bittersweet depth.

I couldn’t get it out of my head, but after finding out that it was a cover of a Billy Joel song didn’t hold high hopes for the original. It’s pleasingly refreshing when my cynicism is proved unfounded.

Both versions of the song are beautiful, Fyfe’s more knowing but no less heart-felt – it could be his song – and Billy’s a charming discovery; innocent and folky, with a lovely flute accompaniment and of the 1970's singer/songwriter genre I’m so fond of.

It hasn’t made me want to shop at John Lewis - but I’m talking about it so that must be a win in itself - but it has made me add both songs to my current playlist.

Image: Fyfe Dangerfield

4 comments:

  1. Really like that you have highlighted the music in this commercial. It is always great when this kind of chemistry between visuals and sound come together. It could and should happen more often that it does but that is a different story. But there are also lots of reasons why Music Supervisors create a new recording and it is not always that their clients can't afford the original master - can be that it gives the production a more contemporary feel. Any way thanks for raising some great points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth, thanks for your comment and glad you liked the piece. I'm sure there are many reasons music supervisors use covers - a lot of thought must go into it. In your experience which other adverts have achieved said chemistry in recent years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful song... I always find these sorts of ads comforting and touching, and Fyfe's cover of "she's always a woman" Makes it all the more beautiful. Well done, John Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good points. I'm writing a piece of media coursework for GCSE English and we have to produce an article about the recent John Lewis advert. I agree with your points about the music, and your blog has helped me with more ideas as to what to say about the music side of the advert :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete