Saturday 11 February 2012

Modern vintage interiors - the book

Since moving in with my now-husband three years ago, I've become very much a home-bird. While I have very active social and professional life, I'm rarely happier than during those hours at the weekend when there's nothing to do but potter around the flat, re-style areas to accommodate new arrivals, blog and read magazines while listening to 6 Music.

A home should be an extension of yourself, your identity and interests, and ours is lovingly furnished in the Midcentury style I'm passionate about with pieces I've picked up on my thrifting travels - at car boot sales, charity shops, online and even out by the bins.


Through running www.vintagebrighton.com I've met many like-minded folk for whom their homes are a true reflection of their creative lifestyles and aesthetic leanings, which lead to the idea of creating a book that showcased what can be done on a small budget and with small spaces.


The 'modern vintage interiors' book dream became a reality when I joined forces with the dapper Mat Keller from Southern Retro, and last year we spent many of our weekends snooping round uniquely styled flats, cottages and houses, discovering the stories behind the looks and finds.

With the shoots over, all that's left to add is a few images of our own flats and the author photos, which is why I was slightly more dressed up than I usually would be on a Saturday morning in these self-taken snaps - Mat dropped by with his tripod earlier. So, now it gets exciting - copy is being edited as we speak, Mat is about to lay out the pages and soon we will have our very own book - published through Blurb.com - to flick through of a weekend.


Sadly, the print above won't be included in my pages as I only bought it today - it's The Lost Orchid by Tretchikoff that I was obsessing about last week (mine for £25 from Upper Gardner Street Market) and like all of my favourite finds, looks like it's always been part of our flat.

The book will be out later this year - I'll be harping on about it everywhere and to anyone who will listen when it is so you're unlikely to miss it.

1 comment: