Sunday 30 October 2011

A confused closet

Unless it's pants and socks, I never buy clothes at full price, and I'll even hunt those essentials down on sale a three-for-two deal. Charity shops, car boot sales and second-hand boutiques are my bread and butter, topped with the occasional spreading of high-street sale and designer bargains.

The thrill of picking up wearable vintage or second-hand high street pieces for a few pounds will never leave me, or at least I hope it won't, but as I've started to become more knowledgable about high fashion, the investment potential of designer bargains has seen me break through my £30 one-item-spend ceiling on a more regular basis.

So, my wardrobe is now an odd mix of designer dame and charity shop chic, see exhibits A and B below:

Bottle green velvet beaded collar dress, £12 - Cardiff charity shop (taken up by my lovely friend Sarah) and Alice by Temperley black lace dress, £62 - Cocosa.com

Luella silk black and floral panel top, £45, The Rag Trade Sale and John Lewis floral silk top, £3.99, British Heart Foundation, Western Road

It's great to have a few really special pieces for occasions that warrant them, and to know that these are likely to hold or even increase in value over the years - I may even pass them on to my children if I have any, and they give a four-letter-word about pretty tops and dresses.

What type of pieces is your wardrobe made up of?

No comments:

Post a Comment