Monday 9 August 2010

The vintage shop of Mum

I've written before about the vintage treasure troves our mother's wardrobes can prove to be. But, as I bemoaned last time, my mum's hoarding habit has only really developed over the past twenty years. "I had loads of great stuff from Sixties and Seventies London that I threw out before you were born," she said. "I thought I was being good".

No mum, you were being bad. You were being very bad.

"Well, when you were a teenager you were never interested when I was having clear-outs".

I was an idiot when I was a teenager mum, we all know that.

Sigh. But, BUT, it seems that not all was not lost. While at home the other weekend, my lovely mother gave me free run of her huge fitted wardrobe, with some very exciting results.

The first piece that had me throwing off my clothes in order to get it on my back was a cute Vivienne Westwood denim waistcoat, which has already had an outing layered over my Breton-stripe dress. Mum bought it second-hand, so doesn't know if it's the real thing or not. But who cares? It looks damn good.


The next was a psychedelic floral velvet jacket from Lee Bender's Bus Stop - a boutique very popular on Carnaby Street during the swinging Sixties and Seventies. I wasn't sure if she'd want to see it go, but, as she said, it's better that it gets worn than becomes moth food. It's a definite contender for my Vintage @ Goodwood outfit.


And the final find - a beautiful lace throw. Origin and DOB unknown. This piece is timelessly chic and I imagine will become a wardrobe staple, worn over evening dresses as well as used to soften more masculine looks such as autumn/winter's military trend.


I really would recommend giving your mum's wardrobe a raid. With her permission of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment