Saturday 9 January 2010

Oh hand me down...a 1960s shift dress

The wardrobes of older generations of the family can be veritable treasure troves for vintage-lovers. I have a very pretty dropped-waist butterfly print dress, bought from Topshop by my mum in the late Seventies, and her leg-warmer collection was fully raided a few years ago when Eighties style first started to come back around. But as my mother shops frequently, she has had regular clear-outs throughout the years - many of which before I was turned on to the joys of vintage fashion. So that well is now pretty much dry when it comes to original gems.

My fiance's older relatives seem to have hung on to special items, however, and as a Christmas gift his mother passed down a gorgeous sixties' croquet-work, diamante-detail shift dress. It needed a touch of TLC, but miraculously all the diamantes are still in place, and after I took the hem up and gave it a good wash, and my friend did something clever with croquet-repairing tools, it was ready to wear. With the sort of timeless and sophisticated style which makes it perfect for any event, it's my new favourite LBD.


No comments:

Post a Comment